Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Yo nade

Yo nade

Pretend that there is an accent above that e in the title. And it means, I swam! Our baptism went really well! And man, I ended up being the one to baptize her! That was really cool, but it sure didn't help with the whole feeling stressed thing. The baptism went really well! It ended up being a double baptism, one of the other companionships in the ward was baptizing too. The guy Elder Watkins trained before me is in it, but his parents are from Colombia so he's already fluent in Spanish. Elder Watkins said it was weird training somebody who spoke way better spanish than him. But it was a double baptism, and the ward had some great support for us. We couldn't even talk to her after it, because the Relief Society was was surrounding her. That was so good to see. she's already made friends with the ward, she loves the Book of Mormon, and I think she's going to be such a blessing to the ward. Another fun fact about the baptismal service, I sang in spanish as part of a musical number for it! Me and two other elders sang "cuando me bautice". It could have been better, but mostly just because I got sick this week so my throats a little scratchy, and one of the other elders was super tone deaf, but I think that just helped us fit in with the music here. And then, I baptized her! I was really nervous, but it all went smoothly. Except I think I forgot to say amen at the end of baptismal prayer. But the bishopric and the witnesses said it was good, so I guess I'll trust them. But it went really well, and she seems really happy. I know that we've really made a difference in her life, and that's amazing. It still feels unreal to me though. I almost feel like I'm still practicing at the MTC. And then I remember that these are real people and it scares me. But it went really well. And one of the coolest parts about teaching her, is me and Elder Watkins taught her everything together. We found her together, taught her and baptized her together in one transfer! That's really cool. She was definitely prepared, and we were definitely guided to find her. The more I think about it the more I realize how much we've been guided in this process. It's amazing. Speaking of being guided, me and Elder Watkins had a really, really amazing experience this week. I think it was thursday, we were just out knocking doors, we were tired, and just not really accomplishing anything. So elder Watkins suggested we go back to the car, and say a prayer. We did, and as he was praying he said a name came into his head of a former investigator. I was devoid of revelation, my mind just had flies and bits of fluff, so we went with his suggestion. And as we were driving, we noticed a helicopter flying overhead, and then we started seeing police cars everywhere. We had to park about 3 streets away, because about 6 blocks were covered and barricaded with cop cars, there must have been at least 30 of them. And a helicopter flying super low, only a couple hundred feet above the palm trees. It was so crazy. Apparently there was a bank robbery or something and the suspects were somewhere in those 6 streets. We found out that the person elder watkins thought of lived right in the middle of what was going on. So we were just like, what the heck? There's no way we can get to her, we'll definitely get shot. As we were walking a guy shouted at us that we weren't in Utah anymore, which made Elder Watkins mad because he actually is from utah. I thought it was funny, so I started talking to him. And turns out he lived in Utah, and just moved here a few months ago, and he was waiting outside because he couldn't get back to his house. He seemed really interested, and said we could come back, so we asked for his address, and it was the same address of the lady we were looking for! He was her nephew! It was a miracle. It was incredible. There is no way we would have ever done that without the guidance of the Lord. It was amazing.
That's my cool stories for this week. It's been a really weird week. It's been tough. This is kind of a sad city. There are a lot of people who are just destroying themselves. And almost everyone lives with someone that they are not married to. It's sad, and it's hard to see. We had some really challenges come up for some of our investigators this week, and we haven't had a lot of outward success this week. But we've also had some truly incredible experiences. And some funny experiences. Elder Watkins had a brentism! It was awesome. He said he received a friend from a letter. And then I kept laughing and he thought it was weird that I thought it was so funny. Also, they have the coolest restaurant here. It's called Famous Louisiana Fried Chicken, Chinese food and donuts! It's so weird! I'm not even making it up! Sadly, they don't have a combo that includes all three of those.
Me and Elder Watkins ate there on saturday, and it was good, I took a picture of the sign and I'll be sending some pictures soon. Also, did I ever tell you you can see the Hollywood sign from my area? it's cool. Except on days when it's really smoggy. Also, I'll for sure not be with elder Watkins next transfer. I'm most likely staying here in Jefferson Park, and I don't know anything past that. I'll find out tomorrow!
One more cool experience: Last night, I was feeling stressed. It was a super stressful day with the baptism, and I was sick, and I just felt terrible all around. I went in the bathroom of our house, and I just got down and prayed on my knees for help. I went back, and I was sitting at my desk, and I just had this feeling I should get out my Book of Mormon and read Helaman 5. I've read Helaman 5 probably 20 times. It's a great chapter. But I just felt like it was written for me last night. It was amazing. God really does listen to prayers, and he helps. He will give us answers, especially in the scriptures. I'd say probably the most important thing I've learned on my mission is how important prayer and the Book of Mormon are. Almost all the problems I've seen with the people here are when they stop doing that, and they make bad decisions. and I know that it helps me more than I can say. Just make sure you never stop doing that! Anyway, my time is short, but it's been a really good week in a lot of ways, and thank you so much for all your letters! they lift me up so much, and everyone single one helps. Thank you for all you do for me! I love you all, the church is true, and the Book of Mormon is true, and Heavenly Father is aware of every single one of us. I know that. Have a great week, and I can't wait to hear from you next monday!
(P.s. I got my halloween package today! And I already ate half of it)

No comments:

Post a Comment